Here is the breakdown from the VMware site:
Convert Physical Machines to Virtual Machines in Minutes
VMware Converter can be run on a wide variety of hardware and supports most commonly used versions of the Microsoft Windows operating systems. With this robust, enterprise class migration tool you can:
- Quickly and reliably convert local and remote physical machines into virtual machines without any disruption or downtime.
- Complete multiple conversions simultaneously with a centralized management console and an intuitive conversion wizard.
- Convert other virtual machine formats such as Microsoft Virtual PC and Microsoft Virtual Server or backup images of physical machines such as Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery or Norton Ghost 12 to VMware virtual machines.
- Restore VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) images of virtual machines to running virtual machines.
- Clone and backup physical machines to virtual machines as part of your disaster recovery plan.
Choose from two available editions of VMware Converter
VMware Converter Starter is a free download available to everyone. It is an easy to use product for single conversions. VMware Converter Enterprise is a robust, enterprise-class product for managing and automating large scale conversions. Learn more about the two editions.
Learn about support offerings for VMware Converter Starter.